Monday, April 9, 2012

Jonathan (FOBO creater)

Hey everyone,
  I've never used Solidworks before (although all of the MEs where I work really like it), so I won't be any help on that front I'm afraid.  You might try using Blender to export to a different file type.  Blender supports exporting to 7 formats, and is of course always free (and for every operating system).  Unfortunately DXF isn't one of the supported export types in Blender, so you could try exporting to a different format (maybe 3ds) and then converting this to DXF files.

To export in Blender :
  1. select the part to export (right mouse click)
  2. from the main menu File/Export/"your format"
  I've done a little bit of simulation with the Bullet physics engine that is included with Blender for some earlier prototypes, but I've never done anything for FOBO.  I'm curious to see what you guys can do with Solidworks.  Keep in mind that the Blender file is using inches as the unit (the stl files were converted to mm ... yes it is lame to mix units). Hope this helps!

Jonathan

1 comment:

  1. Just want to clarify, blender does not use inches as the default units, it is meters. The normalization factor comes into play but to make matter simple, its always metric. It's either meters, centimeters or millimeters not inches. You can obviously change the units to inches but by default its not inches. Please ask for more information with me (Chandra ) of Aric on it. And also blender is capable in exporting more than 7 formats, you need to go to user preferences - addons for more formats.

    Chandra

    ReplyDelete